Monday, January 14, 2013

White Bean Chili


White Bean Chili


Here's another easy crock pot recipe.

White Bean Chili
from Lea A. and Lindsay B.
adapted by D.Lisle

3 cans     great Northern white beans
                 (Bush brand is my favorite...if you have it I think they are worth the extra money. )
16oz       jar salsa
8oz         bag mexican cheese
2tsp        cumin
I added oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Top with Cilantro
boneless chicken breast

1. Boil chicken breast until fully cooked (30-40 min.)
2. In crock pot combine beans, salsa, cheese, and cumin.
3. Cut chicken into small pieces and add to a crock pot.
4. Cook on High for 4 hours.
5. Top with cilantro.

I had never made this recipe before, but got it from a friend after trying it at a party a few years ago. I definitely plan to make it again.

Lislestyle:
*Because I had the time, I used a bag of dried beans instead. It's much cheaper and if you are around the house not that much work. I used 6 cups of cooked beans.
*I used the fresh salsa made by my local grocery store instead of a more commercial brand. I got mild this time, but I want to try something spicier next time or add fresh jalepenos.
*I made this two days after making my oven roasted chicken so I used leftover chicken from that to put in the soup. When I plan out my meals for the week, I usually try to use recipes with common ingredients so I can use leftovers from one meal in another to cut down on the cooking, have more variety instead of using leftovers, and save money.
*Next time I would like to add cilantro.




I took this to my friends' house and she made open face sandwiches to go with it.
It was the perfect combination!
(Recipe for sandwiches to come!)




No comments:

Post a Comment