Monday, January 7, 2013

Oven Roasted Chicken

Oven-roasted Chicken

For a recent Christmas dinner, one of my friends, Linea, brought an oven-roasted chicken. It was delicious! One of the most flavorful chickens I have tasted. The breast meat was so tender and burst with flavors. She sent me the recipe and I tried it today. It was simple to make. It takes very little prep. It has to bake for 1 1/2 hours so you need some time at home, but otherwise it's easy.

It comes from a TLC cooking show:
Oven-roasted Chicken

Lislestyle: The recipe called for two chicken, but I just did one.


One of my favorite tools in the kitchen is my pampered chef chopper. It makes chopping veggies so fast.






Bed of veggies for the chicken. The pan is too big, but it was what I had.
I definitely could put two chickens in here, but I just did one.
My roommate and I love the jar of minced garlic. It's fresh and always ready. We use it almost everyday. When I cooked with my dad growing up he used to say
 if you can't smell you don't have enough...in regards to garlic. 
I usually live by this rule!

To be honest, I didn't know what Marjoram was and I didn't find any fresh. 
Of course, I didn't know what to look for...I didn't see any signs for Marjoram in the fresh produce.
I found this bottle on the spice aisle and it worked fine.
It was around $5.

Butter mixture ready to be put on the bird.

This chicken was the biggest they had and it only cost $5. They were on sale for $.99 a pound.
When I pulled back the skin, to add the butter mixture, this is what I saw.
The white line in the middle I had to cut with my kitchen scissors in order to pull back the skin.


Buttered and ready!
I didn't have the ties they recommended. I was trying to figure out what to do when I saw a large paper clip I have. I used it instead and it was super easy!
I suspect easier than me attempting to tie the birds legs.
In fact, I think this will be my new method.

It's done!
 

Beautiful, isn't it?


One of my other favorite kitchen tools is my electric knife. I got one years ago after using one at a friend's party. It was about $10 at Wal-Mart. I love carving chickens and turkeys! The secret is to cut the legs and wings off at the joints first. Then start at the middle of the breast and follow the bone down to slice it off.



I tried a piece before pouring the juices on it and after. Adding the juices definitely makes a difference.
All the extra flavors really adds to the taste!

Enjoy! I enjoyed this with long grain rice, a salad, and mashed sweet potatoes.

What do you think? Have you ever braved cooking a whole chicken before? 

No comments:

Post a Comment