Thursday, January 3, 2013

Broccoli Cheese Soup


Broccoli Cheese Soup

picture by Kimberly Campbell

Do you have 20 minutes? Then you have enough time to make this. Throw some rolls in the oven or make a sandwich and you will be ready to eat. It is a great meal to take to a friend too.

Cream of Broccoli Soup
1/4 cup     butter
3 tbls        flour
11/2 cup   milk
salt and pepper to taste
2   Chicken bouillon cubes or 3 cups broth
1 can        cream of chicken soup
1 10oz      box of frozen broccoli
1 cup        grated cheddar

1. In a sauce pan, melt butter. Add flour and combine thoroughly. Add milk gradually and cook, stirring until thickened to make a creamy white sauce. Add bouillon cubes and cream of chicken soup. Stir until blended. Set aside.
2. Cook broccoli briefly and drain. Mostly just make sure it is thawed.
3. Add broccoli and cheese to the soup mixture. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and broccoli is done.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add water for thinner soup.

Lislestyle: 
*My friend Anna never adds the cream of chicken and actually it is really thick and rich if you do. It is a very creamy soup without it. I don't usually add it either and I thin it with milk too.
*I like to use sharp cheddar because it has a strong flavor.
*I've used a variety of frozen broccoli. If you want bigger pieces find the cut that is bigger. If you want it to be completely smooth, stick the soup in the blender.
*I never cook the broccoli. I put it in a strainer and run water over it for a couple minutes. It thaws and I throw it in.


White creamy sauce

One of my favorite kitchen tools...the pampered chef grater.


I used chopped broccoli this time.

Adding the cheese

Hot and Creamy!

 If you try this recipe, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment